Clerk of Works Jobs vacancy in Kenya September 2013
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Function Code: Maintenance
Function Level: Intermediate.
- To ensure that high standards of quality control are maintained on
- contracts. Monitor the new construction, renovations and repairs to the
- existing structures, and site development. Observe the construction, contract progress, procedures, workmanship, schedule, overall job safety, and amiable coordination between the contractor, the consultants and the company.
Supervision: Works under general supervision. Follows established procedures; work is reviewed for soundness of technical judgment, overall adequacy and accuracy. Some latitude for independent judgment.
Level of impact: Stretched impact; failure to achieve results or erroneous decisions or recommendations make cause delay in program and/or schedules and may result in allocation of additional resources.
Budget: As per annual business plan
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- To ensure that a consistently high standard of quality control and supervision is maintained for each contract, via site visits, Assessing contract implementation with due regard to construction and health and safety legislation and, if appropriate, to instruct contractors to cease operations.
- To act on behalf of the Company by undertaking audits of the construction works. This will involve visiting sites, checking service work against the schedule and contractors’ invoices, liaising with the Architect and feedback of information / problems.
- To ensure that current knowledge of building and construction services legislation, standards, methods of installation and health and safety knowledge is up-to-date using all appropriate means including reading, research from the building industry lead bodies, and networking with all appropriate organisations, engineers, both in-house and consultant.
- To provide a service at all times to the Architect by ensuring that the standards of work and the materials supplied by contractors are as specified in accordance with the contract information
- To act on behalf of the Architect in respect of site problems and defects in works under construction.
- To advise the Engineering Design Teams on standards of quality, finish and compliance with the specification, having due regard to the requirements of the Contract and the money being expended.
- To participate in the arrangement for the feed-back of information from building and construction projects.
- To maintain liaison with the client staff to ensure that hand-over arrangements are effective
- To advise designers on the practical aspects of engineering installations, to ensure the soundness and practicality of design proposals.
- To monitor the performance of contractors and consultants on site and to ensure that engineering installations are constructed in accordance with drawings and specifications
- To provide feedback on the performance of contractors and consultants to contribute to Approved List databases
- To attend design team meetings with in-house and external consulting design staff
- To attend and report to pre-contract and site meetings
- To identify technical problems on site, to recommend corrective action and to issue Clerk of Works’ directions as authorised by the Architect
- To witness testing, commissioning and balancing of engineering installations
- To prepare schedules of defects and to certify rectification of snagging items
- Maintain records at the construction site in an orderly manner as directed by the Architect. Include copies of all correspondence concerning the project, contract documents, construction schedule, change orders, test results, permits, inspection reports, insurance policies, minutes or summaries of meetings, shop drawings, invoices, and any other applicable documentation.
- Using the form provided, maintain a log of all daily activities including daily progress, weather conditions, visitors, inspectors, sub-contractors on site, nature and location of work performed.
- Meet, verify identification, and accompany any inspectors from local or central government agencies having jurisdiction over the project. Immediately report the results of such inspections to the, Project manager or general contractor, and the consultant. Monitor any corrective actions.
- Observe material delivered to the site and used by the subcontractors to ensure that materials used are those specified, or approved substitutes, and that materials are in good condition and free of defects. Report problems to the Consultants and Project Manager immediately.
- Monitor the proper storage of materials, including any off-site storage if so directed. Report problems to the general contractor.
- Notify the Project Manager if, in the clerk’s opinion, any materials should be replaced due to improper storage. Document with photographs as necessary.
- Any other assigned duties assigned by COO or Directors
- Develop and maintain cordial relationships with KI Users responding to their enquiries/requests/complaints expeditiously
- Take charge of coordination, control and delivery of capital projects, refurbishments and building projects.
- He will be in charge of end to end responsibility of projects initiations, planning, implementation, governance and control of projects close out
- Take charge of health and safety within KI properties and undertake quarterly health and safety inspections within the properties
- Carry out and record annual risk assessments including fire risk within the property making recommendations on improvements where necessary
- Ensure that there is a maintenance plan for the KI properties and monitor its implementation.
- Participate in the selection and prequalification of contractors especially maintenance related ones
- Review and approve requisitions for maintenance and repair work as part of budgetary control
- Log and prepare the appropriate reports on progress of all repairs in an accurate manner and provide feedback to the relevant users/clients
- Carry out regular audits of equipment in KI properties to ensure its safe custody and to monitor their maintenance.
- Process all necessary documentation associated with leasing and managing properties; this will require liaison with the Head of Legal Services.
- Manage the performance of the maintenance team, reviewing performance and ensuring they are adequately motivated, trained and developed.
- Monitor the performance of Contractor(s) and highlight areas that need attention to the respective Management.
- Monitor the performance of the security service provider(s) and report areas of concern to the Head of Security.
- To maintain a high professional and ethical profile in accordance with industry and company standards
- Relationship building and maintenance
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Customer service skills
- Problem solving and decision making skills
- Staff management skills
- Third party management skills
- Initiative and confidence
- Achievement driven
- Business acumen
- Degree in Land Economics or Building and Construction Engineering
- 8 years experience in real estate/Commercial industry.
- Proven ability to build strong relationships.
- Competence in property management computer packages.
- Safety qualification and experience is an added advantage
- Possession of a Certificate of Registration with ISK
- Working knowledge of CAD and BQ’s is a must.