IntraHealth International FUNZOKenya Project Finance Officer / Project Accountant Jobs vacancy in Nairobi, Kenya 2013
IntraHealth International supports health workers to succeed, improve policies and systems for a strong workforce, and extend health services to meet communities’ needs.
The USAID funded, IntraHealth International led FUNZOKenya project, aims to improve access to and quality of health workforce training by supporting an increased number of new health workers trained; supporting current health worker training needs; strengthening the capacity of training institutions; and strengthening regulatory bodies to enhance training demand.
Working in close partnership with the Ministries of Health, health training institutions in Kenya and the National Health Training Working Group among others, the Project aims to build responsive, country-led training systems to improve health sector outcomes and the accessibility and quality of health workforce training in Kenya.
IntraHealth International is seeking highly effective and experienced professionals to fill the following positions:
Title: Finance Officer / Project Accountant
Geographic Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Job Level: 6
Supervisor: Finance, Contracts & Grants Manager
Supervisee: Indirect, Finance Assistant/Associate
Provide support in the Finance and Accounting Function:
Provide support in the Finance and Accounting Function:
- Follow up for the timely submission/liquidation of advances ensuring that accountabilities from travelers are received within 5 days of travelers return from a trip, and that the review of the same is finalized within 10 days of completion of the activity
- Follow up for the timely submission of Regional Float issued to hub managers ensuring that accountabilities from the managers are received by the 25th of every month.
- Checking for the accuracy, completeness, adequacy of supporting documents accompanying the Travel Reimbursements Forms (TRFs), and Regional Hub Float accountabilities ensuring compliances with donor and organizations’ policies and procedures.
- Ensure all amounts paid to the organization in liquidation of travel advances are receipted and banked promptly.
- Generate Adjusting Journal Vouchers (AJVs) for all approved Travel Reimbursement Forms (TRFs), Regional Hub Floats and other forms of accountabilities and ensure that once reviewed and approved, they are accurately posted into the accounting system in a timely manner
- From the Accounting system generate a report of taxable M&IE allowances for submission to the Finance Director by the 8th day of the following month.
- Prepare a Receivables Ageing analysis on a monthly basis ensuring documented follow-up of long outstanding receivables.
- Ensure the General Ledger is up to date in relation to AJVs for approved Travel Reimbursement Forms (TRFs), returned monies and other forms of accountabilities.
- Prepare Bank reconciliations for all bank accounts and submit for review and approval by the 3rd day of every month.
- Take the lead in compiling accruals in relation to all unpaid obligations (including salaries) at the month end ensuring that all amounts are captured accurately, traceable to the source documents and coded to the correct projects.
- Prepare adjusting journals for month-end accruals for approval and posting to the Accounting system.
- Ensure that reversals to prior months accruals are posted accurately and any arising exchange variances are resolved without delay
- Co-ordinate the month-end Field financial reporting process to ensure that the soft copy final report is submitted to Headquarters by the 5th business day of the following month.
- Reviews the monthly Field financial reports (e-copy and hard copies) for accuracy and completeness before reports are uploaded
- Ensures that retroactive adjustments such as inter-project/tracking codes expenses allocations are effected in the General ledger on a timely and accurate basis
- On the 25th of each month, prepare an adjusting journal to apportion fuel utilization to the appropriate project and activity codes as supported by mileage records provided by the Logistics unit
- Reconcile the monthly Headquarter Financial (Serenic) uploaded reports with the Field Office’s accounting records (QuickBooks), within two weeks from the date the Serenic reports are uploaded.
- Ensure any variances between Serenic and QuickBooks reports are discussed with Supervisor, communicated to the HQ focal person and resolved in a timely manner.
- Compile monthly detailed Budget-Variance-Analysis reports for each project for distribution to the Supervisor by the 15th of each month.
- Assist in the preparation of quarterly expenditure reports for each project for submission to Finance, Contracts & Grants Manager by the 15th day of the month following end of each quarter- 15th Jan,15th Apr,15th Jul and 15th Oct.
- Support in compilation and interpreting of other adhoc projects’ expenditures reports as required.
- Jointly with the Procurement and Payables team, manages the overall LPO monitoring tool to enable provision of accurate reports on the organizations obligations at any given point in time.
Duty and Tax Exemption management:
- Manage the Duty and Tax exemptions process by ensuring exemption applications (DA1 forms) are prepared in a timely, accurate and complete manner in compliance with the organizations’ policies and procedures and donor regulations.
- Maintain a Duty Exemption Register and follow-up on submitted DA1 forms and invoices with the USAID focal point.
- Liaise with vendors on all VAT matters (including following up refunds of VAT paid to the vendors once DA1s are approved).
- Work closely with Procurement team on mentoring the team on necessary compliances in relation to tax/duty exemption.
- Ensure accurate recording of VAT transactions in the General Ledger.
Petty Cash Management:
- Oversee the management of the petty cash system ensuring that the laid down policies and procedures are adhered to.
- Conduct routine and surprise cash counts.
- Provide support in the processing of Suppliers payments and Travel/Activity advances via the applicable mode of payment: EFT, MPESA and cheques.
- Provide support to the Grants portfolio as required
- Provide any other required financial backstopping roles to the IntraHealth, Kenya office and any other field offices as need arises.
- Jointly with the immediate Supervisor, participate in own annual performance appraisal, identify own learning needs and personal career growth.
Education / Experience Requirements
- 3 years experience in busy accounting department.
- Experience in USAID rules & regulations
- Experience in donor funded organization is preferred.
- Minimum of CPA I1
- Well developed Interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Quickbooks
- High integrity, honesty, initiative and team-player
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize
How to Apply
If your background, experience and competencies match the specification above, apply by sending your updated CV along with a covering letter indicating your daytime telephone numbers, address and names of three referees one of whom must be your supervisor in current or former employment to email@example.com
Closing date for applications is September 20, 2013.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Intrahealth International, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer