Vacancy: Procurement Officer
The African Virtual University (AVU) is a Pan African Intergovernmental Organization established by charter with the mandate of significantly increasing access to quality higher education and training through the innovative use of information communication technologies.
A Charter, establishing the AVU as an Intergovernmental Organization, has been signed so far by eighteen (18) African Governments – Kenya, Senegal, Mauritania, Mali, Cote d’Ivoire, Tanzania, Mozambique, Democratic Republic of Congo, Benin, Ghana, Republic of Guinea, Burkina Faso, Niger, South Sudan, Sudan, The Gambia, and Guinea-Bissau.
The AVU has its headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya and a Regional office in Dakar Senegal with Host-Country Agreements and Diplomatic Status with the two governments
The AVU Business Plan 2009-2014 has two main thrusts:
(a) Educational and support services provided on a fee basis; and
(b) Not-for-profit development services.
The Not-for-profit development services aims at building the capacity of AVU Partner Institutions (PIs) with an objective of increasing access to quality education through the following activities: updating and developing content; Open Educational Resources (OER) Development; AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP); set up/upgrade ODeL centers; developing professional networks through Communities of Practices; Research and Development; and Quality Evaluation and Benchmarking.
Some of the Not-for-profit development services were delivered from 2005 to 2011 through the AVU Multinational Project I, funded by the African Development Bank (AfDB) and implemented in 10 African countries.
The AfDB is funding a second phase of the Multinational Project which will build on the first phase and will extend its benefits to more countries. The overall objective of the AVU Multinational Project II is to strengthen the capacity of the AVU and a network of 27 institutions to deliver and manage quality ICT integrated education and training opportunities in 21 African countries.
The project has the following activities:
(1) Establishment of new Open Distance and eLearning (ODeL) Centers and/or upgrading of exiting AVU Learning Centers as well as Internet connectivity provision at AVU Partner Institutions;
(2) Development and/or improvement, and delivery of four ICT integrated Programs: AVU Capacity Enhancement Program (ACEP); Teacher Education (TE), Computer Science (CS), and Peace and Conflict Resolution;
(3) Gender Mainstreaming,
(4) Research and Development;
(5) Promotion and development of Open Education Resources (OERs); and
(6) Enhancement of AVU Capacity .
The AVU Multinational Project II will be implemented in 27 AVU Partner Institutions in the following 21 countries: nine (9) Francophone African Countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Democratic Republic of Congo, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Senegal; three (3) Lusophone African Countries: Cape Verde, Guinea Bissau and Mozambique; and nine (9) Anglophone African Countries: Gambia, Ghana, Kenya, Ethiopia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sudan, South Sudan, and Tanzania.
To successfully implement these project activities the AVU wishes to engage a Procurement Officer to undertake all procurement activities related to the project as well as other work that may be requested by the AVU
2.0. Scope of Work
- Sourcing goods and services, preparing tender documents (ITB, ITQ, and RFP)
- Evaluation of tenders and proposals (goods, works, services and Consultancies).
- Assist in the developments and drawing of terms of references (TORs) for Service Contracts and Consultancies.
- Monitoring and appraising suppliers to ensure compliance to specifications and deliver schedules.
- Draw contracts and take Custody of all service and goods contracts at AVU
- Prepare biweekly and monthly reports Procurement management reports.
- Draw, monitor and review Procurement plans and work plans
- Advice the AVU Tender Committee on issue related to procurement procedures for goods, works and services throughout the Project cycle.
- Assist Project Manager and departments in examining bid evaluation reports as well as technical and financial proposals and make recommendations.
- Design the most appropriate modalities for the procurement of goods and services in accordance with the AfDB Procurement rules and procedures, or in accordance of AVU procurement rules and procedures where applicable.
- Any other task that may be requested by the Supervisor.
3.0. Deliverables and Expected Outcomes
- Contract for all goods and services procured in a procedural manner
- Supplies, goods and services to support the operations of the Project.
- Updated AfDB Project Procurement plan
- Advanced university degree or university degree in one or more of the following disciplines: economics, commerce, business administration, Supply Chain Management, CIPS Certification or related field.
- At least 5 years’ working experience at a senior procurement position in an inter-Governmental Organisation, Development Agencies or other international organizations
- Proven working experience and knowledge of multilateral donors like AfDB and World Bank Procedures is essential.
- Proven excellent computer skills especially in MS Excel, Power Point and MS Project.
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to communicate well at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure.
- Good planning and organizational skills.
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking in English.
- Knowledge of French or Portuguese is an added advantage.
5.0. Modalities of Work
The officer will work full time dedicating 8 hours in a day for 5 days a week.
The officer will work under the supervision of the Manager, Finance and Administration or such other person as the AVU may designate from time to time in writing.
The salary will be commensurate with the qualification and experience of the successful candidate.
How to Apply
The African Virtual University (AVU) www.avu.org is an equal opportunity employer.
The successful candidate will be appointed for 2 years with possibility of extension.
Application must include an application letter and a detailed curriculum vitae with: a telephone number; email and residential addresses; and names with contact addresses of three professional references.
Applications should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and MUST have Procurement Officer as the email subject.
All inquiries should be sent to email@example.com
The successful candidate will be based at the AVU Headquarters in Nairobi, Kenya.
The closing date for these applications is on or before September 1st 2013 at 18:00 East African Time (UTC/GMT + 3)
Note: ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted.