Job Employment at Save the Children in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Terms of Reference (TOR) for Consultancy for Project Planning and Management, Proposal Development & Report Writing Training for Save the Children Partners
Number Required: Organisation or Individual
Save the Children has been operational in Kenya since 1984, providing support to children through developmental and humanitarian relief programmes delivered both directly and through local partners.
Current programming focuses on child protection, child rights governance, education, health, HIV and AIDS, livelihoods, nutrition and WASH.
Currently, we have a staff complement of approximately 370 staff and expenditure of approximately US$30 million.
With funding from CIDA and in partnership with five local organizations, Save the Children is currently implementing a five year project named Children Lead the Way (CLW).
This participatory child-focused programme focuses on working girls and boys, and children affected by HIV and AIDS with a view of securing their rights to survival, protection, education, health and participation.
Save the children therefore seeks consultancy services for training the project partners and staff in project planning and management, proposal development, M&E and report writing.
The training will bring together Children Lead the Way (CLW) project partners with the following key objectives:
- Build the skills of participants in project planning and management to ensure quality programme development, delivery and reporting.
- Improve the proficiency of participants in monitoring, evaluation and learning, and support their efforts in overseeing MEAL for their own programs and for their grant with SCI
- Enhance partners’ practical capacity in the development and administration of data collection tools using an example of one of the ongoing project logical frameworks
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
The Consultant or firm will be responsible for the following activities:
- Reviewing key CLW documents and any relevant literature related to the project;
- Together with the relevant Save the Children team, design a four-day training schedule,
- Developing training materials. Training materials include PowerPoint presentation, discussion questions/exercises, and virtual modules (as required).
- Actual training facilitation and skills delivery.
- Documentation and reporting –both in hard and soft copies for all training materials.
- Final report of the training process (2 copies bound and a soft copy of the report)
Responsibility of Save the Children International
- Draw the contract for consultancy services for the reporting training;
- Provide necessary project background materials;
- Provide technical and logistical support to the consultant during the training/ workshop period;
- Mobilize and schedule teams and the key programme staff and partners to participate in the training;
- Cover the costs of the consultant as per the contractual agreement.
Duration of the Assignment
The task right from the documents review all through to the actual training and report submission will take not more than (6) six days.
A training report not exceeding ten pages should then be submitted to SC not later than one week after the training.
Consultant’s Skills and Experience/ Training
- Master’s level qualification in project management, business administration, international relations, Monitoring and Evaluation, Development studies, MBA or other relevant field or equivalent
- At least 8 years’ experience in providing capacity building and oversight to NGOs in project planning and management, M&E, strategic planning, or any other related area.
- Proven experience in undertaking a training action on project planning and management and M& E for Non-Governmental Organization
- Deep knowledge of Project Management Cycle (PCM) and Results Oriented Monitoring (ROM) is required
- Fluency in English required.
- Knowledge of child rights and child protection
- Demonstrated facilitation/training skills
- Demonstrated strong oral and written communication ability;
The Consultant must abide by the Save the Children Child safeguarding protocol, which is a statement of Save the Children’s commitment to preventing abuse and protecting children with whom it comes into contact.
This extends not only to children with whom and its partners work directly, but also includes children whom staff is responsible for.
Save the Children believes that the situation of children must be improved through the promotion of their rights as set out in the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child (UNCRC).
This includes the right to freedom from abuse and exploitation.
Interested candidates are requested to apply with the following to email: email@example.com
Download the Expression of interest Form Here
Included with the application should be:
- Consultants’ curriculum Vitae.
- Calendar and work plan based on the specific tasks for the assignment above.
- Expected daily rate.
- A brief account of relevant past work. Copies of reports of past similar assignment will be advantageous
Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing date (30th August 2013) will not be given consideration.
Please note that only short-listed applicants will be contacted.