Job vacancy at Chemonics International USAID Kenya Integrated WASH Program in Kenya September 2013
Chief of Party – USAID Kenya Integrated WASH Program
Chemonics International Inc, a leading international consulting firm based in Washington, D.C., seeks Chief of Party candidates for an anticipated multi-year USAID-funded water, sanitation, and hygiene project (KIWASH) in Kenya.
The KIWASH project will primarily focus on: scaling up WASH service delivery models, increasing access to financing and credit for WASH services, improving access to WASH and nutrition services, increasing environmental sustainability of WASH services, and strengthening water resource institutions.
This position will be based in Kenya.
Chief of party responsibilities include provision of overall project leadership, management, and technical direction; supervision of project technical and administrative staff; and serve as primary liaison with USAID, international and regional partners, as well as host-country government officials.
- Coordination of, and ultimate responsibility for, contract management, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation, including compliance with USAID regulations and timely submission of all project deliverables;
- Supervise project technical and administrative staff, collaboratively creating and implementing a strategic long-term vision for the project while effectively mitigating risk and managing performance;
- Liaise and fortify relationships with key partners within USAID, Government of Kenya, international donors, subcontractors, local NGOs, and the private sector, facilitating coordination, and sharing lessons learned and best-practices across partners and stakeholders.
- Provide strategic technical expertise to shape project implementation, applying cutting-edge, creative, and community-driven solutions to water, sanitation, and hygiene challenges in Kenya.
- Advanced degree in international development, water/sanitation engineering, public health, business administration, or related field of study
- Minimum 10 years experience in a senior leadership position managing WASH-focused programs or working in health, environment and natural resources management, policy and financing, preferably in Kenya
- Proven skill in managing and implementing large donor-funded (preferably USAID) projects
- Technical expertise in design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation of water, sanitation, and hygiene programs
- Experience in strengthening institutions related to WASH services, including but not limited to WASH credit/financing, market-based WASH service provision strategies, small business development, and strengthening of new and existing governance structures;
- Practical knowledge of participative and community-led water, sanitation, and hygiene strategies
- Technical skill in cross-sectoral application of WASH principles to promote maternal and child health, nutrition, and water resource management
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships with government officials, international donors, and local community stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communications skills
- Ability to work and travel in remote areas of the country to oversee program implementation and provide technical expertise
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Experience living and working in Kenya and East Africa preferred
- Fluency in English required; proficiency in Kiswahili desired
Applicants are requested to send their CVs and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 13, 2013.
Please include in the subject heading KIWASH COP.
No telephone inquiries, please.
Finalists will be contacted.