Job vacancy at Mercy Corps Human Resources Officer in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Human Resources Officer
The mandate of Human resources HR and the Leadership and Organizational Effectiveness (LOE) Team is to identify exceptional talent to advance Mercy Corps’ mission.
General Position Summary:
Essential Job Functions:
- Administer all HR functions for Nairobi and field offices;
- Remain informed, on an ongoing basis, about current and changing HR-related laws, policies and “best practices” to ensure that current and future personnel policies, employment practices, and compensation packages are within the limits of established standards, procedures, guidelines and policies of Mercy Corps, as well as national laws;
- Implement and reinforce the Kenya National Staff Policy Handbook. Recommend new or needed changes to existing personnel policies and practices to senior management;
- Ensure effective human resource programs including recruitment, orientation, performance evaluation, career development, training, diversity training, risk management and safety programs;
- Responsible for tracking annual/sick leave days as per Mercy Corps Kenya policy. Ensuring all leave days are accurately reflected on the leave tracking sheet;
- Ensure supervisors get monthly update on staff leave balance before they approve any leave. Upon request inform staff on leave balances;
- Maintain appropriate records and ensure confidentiality regarding personnel activities and personnel data including but not limited to employment documentation, evaluations, exit interviews and other relevant information;
- Monitor employee concerns, complaints, and counseling needs and coordinate internal investigations and hearings with appropriate personnel and management;
- Participate in orientation of new personnel with respect to HR policies and procedures, including remuneration, benefits, and the organizational “work ethic”;
- Coordinate paperwork for consultants and temporary employees;
- Maintain and report employee statistical data, as requested;
- Distribute and collect completed employee timesheets as per organizational policy;
- Administer all health insurance issues including employee inquiries and communication with the insurance provider;
Reports Directly To: Human Resources Manager
Knowledge and Experience:
- Degree in Business Administration, Psychology or other rrelevant University degree; Minimum 3 years of experience in human resources or general administration, preferably in the NGO sector.
- Advanced computer skills, including most MS Office applications.
- English proficiency – written and spoken is essential;
- Excellent problem solving skills and ability to multitask.
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international development work.
- Proven ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines.
- Commitment to transparency, accountability and compliance with donor, organizational and national policies and regulations
- Team player
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit on or before September 10, 2013 at 4.00 p.m. a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject the position and location they are applying for, e.g “Human Resources Officer-Nairobi”