Job vacancy at Mercy Corps Office Administration Officer in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Essential Job Functions:
- Direct supervision of Administrative Assistant and oversight for international and domestics travel and hotel bookings/reservations. Supervision of office cleaner and performance development plans for all staff under supervision.
- Act as the in-charge of administration in the Nairobi office including coordination of routine staff meetings, and sometimes representation at local government offices as advised by management.
- Monitor and control Nairobi administrative/office expenses and budget
- Collate office-specific updates for routine meetings.
- Ensure full compliance with all relevant Mercy Corps and donor guidelines; keep up to date with changing policies and guidelines.
- Ensures Mercy Corps office and compound are well maintained and suitable for working and living.
- Identify and ensure the provision of necessary training and guidance for administrative national staff.
- Oversee record room and paper file management for administration
- Coordinate with Mercy Corps managers regarding the relations with local authorities; liaise with government offices, UN agencies, NGOs, as required.
- Coordination of visa & work permits for expatriate staff and visitors.
- Coordinating lease agreements, timely payments of leases and utilities for properties.
- Allocation of MC owned mobile phones and data modems including on time bill settlements and collection of reimbursements from staff for personal usage
- Coordinating stationary and office supplies.
- General office maintenance including safety & security.
- Making arrangements for meetings & workshops in coordination with organizers.
- Administration and track lease, preferred supplier agreements, other service contracts in administration.
- Maintain general inventory for Nairobi office and expatriate houses.
- Act as focal point for MC Kenya legal counselors and maintain legal registry.
- Ensure that all Mercy Corps contracts and business transactions/relationships are transparent and in compliance with Kenya law and Mercy Corps/donor policies.
- Accommodation arrangements for national staff and international visitors
- Oversee international and domestic flight reservation in coordination with Admin Assistant (this require the compliance of US Flag Carriers)
- Performance monitoring of preferred hotels and travel agents in Nairobi
- Monitoring of hotel and travel agent payments
Reports Directly To: Acting Operations Manager
Works Directly With: Operations, HR and Finance Teams.
- BA/BS degree in a relevant field
- Minimum of 3-5 years field experience in administrative or operational support functions, including procurement, logistics and human resources management, with a humanitarian non-governmental organization, including two years in a field emergency/relief setting
- Experience in setting up and managing administration and logistics management systems
- Demonstrated understanding of complex emergencies, related security concerns, and appropriate responses to such emergencies
- Excellent negotiation, representation skills and the ability to work comfortably with an ethnically diverse staff
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to follow procedures and meet deadlines
- Demonstrated ability to live, work and solve problems independently and effectively in a multi-cultural setting.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple teams in different locations in a high pressure environment
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office applications required
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills required; good knowledge of Swahili and other local languages desirable.
- Flexibility and creativity in planning and problem solving
- Ability to take initiative, learn quickly and be accountable for results
- Ability to understand the larger picture while remaining focused on the details
- Awareness of and sensitivity to multi-cultural international development work
- Even temperament and a good sense of humor
- Security awareness
Interested candidates who meet the above required qualifications and experience should submit on or before September 10, 2013 at 4.00 p.m. a cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applicants must clearly indicate on the email subject the position and location they are applying for, e.g “Human Resources Officer-Nairobi”