Job vacancy at Danish Demining Group in Nairobi Kenya September 2013
Armed Violence Reduction Programme Assistant in Kenya
- Strengthening institutions and enhancing capacity for addressing safety needs
- Addressing immediate threats to life and limbs by explosive remnants of war
- Addressing small arms as a tool of violence
- Building capacity for conflict management and peace
- Strengthening relationships between security providers and communities
DDG is looking for a highly talented and motivated individual for the position of AVR Programme Assistant.
The AVR Programme Assistant should be a Kenyan citizen and have the following qualities and qualifications:
- is passionate about promoting a Kenya free of armed violence and conflict
- has an intelligent and creative mind that will enable him/her to identify new and suitable solutions to local safety needs
- has a high degree of professionalism
- is analytical and able to present logical arguments,
- is curious and seeks out information,
- has a strong drive to learn new things and improve own capacity,
- takes initiative – identifies what needs to get done and does it,
- is able to work under minimum supervision,
- is hard working and driven to achieve objectives,
- is a good team player,
- is diplomatic, patient and persistent,
- is honest and loyal,
- is culturally sensitive,
- is able to resist external pressures.
- A university degree in peace studies, political science or related field,
- Substantial knowledge of the Kenya political system from community to national level, including issues related to urban crime and violence and extractive industries.
- Good understanding of local dynamics that lead to armed violence,
- Experience of carrying out trainings, ideally related to AVR.
- Experience of developing training modules, ideally related to AVR
- Experience of developing activity budgets
- Fluency in English. Strong command of written English and ability to speak clearly to various audiences,
- High degree of computer literacy,
- Experience working with volunteers on AVR related issues, ideally in Urban settings.
- Experience of proposal writing and fundraising.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience of working in insecure environments.
- Good understanding of new information and communication technologies (ICT) and how these can be utilised for peace and development.
- An interesting and challenging position within the DDG Kenya programme which will provide the right candidate with a significant opportunity to learn and grow professionally.
- Experience of working within a professional and visionary international NGO.
- The opportunity to be part of a professional and dedicated team with friendly and helpful colleagues.
- Exposure to intellectually stimulating issues relating to the prevention and reduction of armed violence.
- The potential to make a tangible positive difference to the lives of many Kenyans.
- Salary and conditions in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for local staff in Kenya.
- A contract until the end of the year with possibilities for extension, subject to performance and funding. There will be a 3-month probation period, which can be extended if considered necessary.
Start date: As soon as possible.
For information about our work and organisation, please visit our website http://www.danishdemininggroup.dk/.
Application and CV
The application should be sent to: Job@ddghoa.org and the subject line should read “Kenya AVR PA”.
The deadline for submission of applications is the 17th September 2013.