Job vacancy at ICRAF / ILRI Head of ICT in Nairobi, Kenya September 2013 (USD 75K p.a)
Vacancy Number: HOICT/CS/06/2013
Base salary starting from USD 75,000 per annum depending on skills and experience,with an attractive international benefits package (tax free*).
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) works to enhance the roles livestock play in pathways out of poverty in developing countries. ILRI is a member of the CGIAR Consortium, a global research partnership of 15 centres working with many partners for a food-secure future. ILRI has two main campuses in East Africa and other hubs in East, West and southern Africa and South, Southeast and East Asia.
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
CGIAR is a global agricultural research partnership for a food-secure future. Its science is carried out by 15 research centres that are members of the CGIAR Consortium in collaboration with hundreds of partner organizations. .
- Make decisions on ICT infrastructure, services and operations worldwide for the two organisations, ILRI and ICRAF.
- Build relationships throughout the two organisations to ensure that they understand the business strategies and project requirements so as to provide the most effective services for their needs. The position holder will build relationships within the other CGIAR Centres to take advantage of shared ICT services and innovations made at the CGIAR level or by other Centres.
- Establish and maintain relationships with external service providers and suppliers and other local and international organisations to better understand the ICT environment that we work in and to build partnerships with these groups to enhance the services offered.
- Plan, mobilize and manage ICT operating budgets of ICRAF and ILRI that total over $3,000,000.
- Develop investment plans for ICT projects and for both replacement and new equipment.
- Implement a fair and transparent means of full cost recovery to cover all operational and capital investments made by the institutes in ICT Services.
- Negotiate with service providers and suppliers to obtain the best value for money for the services obtained.
- Provide overall management for the staff and resources of the common service Unit providing ICT Services to ICRAF and ILRI.
- Develop the ICT Unit work plans used to provide more detailed work assignments for each member of the team.
- Responsible for planning for new and replacement equipment required on the campuses to provide the ICT environment.
- Responsible for all equipment and resources assigned to the team either permanently or that is temporarily in their custody.
- Lead the two institutes in their implementation and use of ICT. This will include testing, trailing and implementing new technologies, applications, services and methods of working that will increase the options for the researchers supporting staff and improve their efficiency, reliability and ability to communicate with others.
- Develop the ICT Strategy and policies for the two institutes and ensure that they are communicated and understood institute wide.
- First Degree in Computer Science.
- Master’s degree in Business administration or related field.
- Up to date certification Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE) or ICT Security Certification or Information Technology Infrastructure Library (ITIL).
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in an ICT Service environment.
- Five to ten years relevant management experience in comparable organizations:
- Preference will be given to candidates from private or publicly funded international development organizations involved in research and/or consulting.
- Experience with organizations operating in a competitive funding environment is essential with a preference given to experience in restricted projects/grants environments.
- Experience working in developing countries or multi-cultural environments.
- A track record of achievement in mature, well-established organizations that have been required to adapt quickly to changes would be an advantage.
- Ability to communicate fluently in written and verbal English.
- Well organized with good leadership and management skills necessary to manage staff in several locations.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to pass on information clearly to users and to grasp difficulties perceived by users.
- Strong customer service orientation that establishes a good working relationship with customers, with the attitude of wanting to assist people and pass-on their knowledge and experience to others.
- Excellent technical knowledge of computer applications and systems.
- Good logical diagnostic skills and ability to exercise good judgment in the resolution of problems.
- Ability to multi-task in dealing with several different problems at a time.
- Ability to work under high pressure, meet deadlines, monitor and follow-up on pending matters under minimum supervision.
- Ability to communicate fluently in English.
Duration: 3 years, with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Position level: The position is equivalent to Scientist/Research Level 3, dependent on qualifications and experience.
Terms of appointment: ILRI offers a competitive international and salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension – Medical insurance – Life insurance –and allowances for: – Education – Housing – Relocation – Home leave – Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
*Benefits and salary are tax free subject to compliance with tax regulations of country of citizenship.
All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 15 September 2013.
Note: This is a re-advertisement. Those who had earlier applied need not re-apply.
ICRAF and ILRI are equal opportunity employers and encourage female applicants to apply