KEPHIS Corporation Secretary Job career in Kenya 2013
Kenya Plant Health Inspectorate Service (KEPHIS) is a corporate body established through Legal Notice No.305 of 1996 under the State Corporations Act Cap.446.
Its main mandate is to undertake quality control services of agricultural inputs and produce, plant variety protection and plant health.
The Corporation seeks to fill the following position:
The Corporation Secretary will be reporting to the Managing Director for the following duties:
- Providing secretariat services to the Board, including organizing the board meetings, preparing agenda, taking minutes of the proceedings of Board meetings, ensuring timely communication of decisions made for action and ensuring safe custody of the minutes and all legal and title documents.
- Preparing a schedule of Board and committee meetings and coordinating all the activities pertaining to travel, induction programmes among others.
- Advising the board and management on all legal matters, corporate governance issues, and service regulations and policies.
- Ensuring safe custody and appropriate use of the Corporate Seal.
- Ensuring timely compilation of board papers in consultation with the heads of divisions and departments and ensuring their compliance to good corporate governance principles.
- Coordinating and liaising with the external panel of lawyers representing the Corporation in litigation and other judicial processes.
- Interpreting the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and all laws that affect the operations of the Corporation; and ensuring compliance with all relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Coordination and participation in the review of laws and regulations relating to the Corporation.
- Preparing and vetting of contracts and ensuring adherence to the stipulated terms.
- Preparation of board’s statements for institutional reports.
- Representing the Corporation alongside other nominees in the Board of Trustees of the Corporation’s Staff Retirement Benefits Scheme.
- Supervising, appraising and ensuring development of staff in the department.
- Performing any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Managing Director and the Board.
Key Qualifications, Competencies and Attributes
To qualify for appointment to this position, the applicant must satisfy the following requirements:
- Hold a Bachelors degree in Law from a recognized University.
- Post graduate degree in a relevant field.
- Be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Be a holder of Certified Public Secretaries CPS (K) qualification and a registered member of the Institute of Certified Public Secretaries of Kenya.
- High degree of integrity and honesty.
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal, communication and analytical skills as well as a good understanding of public service regulations and procedures in service delivery.
- Be a team player of integrity, self driven and with ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Have served in a similar position in a reputable organization for at least seven (7) years, four (4) of which must be at senior management level.
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified persons should forward their applications enclosing copies of their academic and professional certificates, copy of ID card, detailed CV indicating work experience, current remuneration and employer, daytime telephone contact, names, addresses and e-mail addresses of three (3) referees to the address below and should be received on or before 22 October, 2013.
P.O. Box 49592-00100
P.O. Box 49592-00100
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Shortlisted candidates shall be required to produce originals of their National ID, academic and professional certificates and testimonials during the interview.
KEPHIS is an equal opportunity employer.
Potential male and female candidates with disabilities are encouraged to apply.