Republic of Kenya
The National Treasury
Infrastructure Finance and Public Private Partnerships Project
Consultancy Services to Engage a Technical Advisor to Support the Roads Subsector
Request for Expressions of Interest
Credit No. 51570 KE
Project ID No. P121019.
This request for Expression of Interest follows the General Procurement Notice (GPN) for the Kenya IFPPP project that appeared in United Nation Development Business No. WB3876-07/13 of July 2013.
The Government of Kenya (GoK) has received financing from the World Bank towards the cost of the Infrastructure Finance and Public Private Partnerships Project (IFPPP) whose overall development objective is to increase private investment in the Kenyan infrastructure market by improving the enabling environment to generate a pipeline of bankable PPP projects.
It is intended that part of the proceeds of this credit be applied to eligible payments under the contracts for provision of the above Consultancy services and is for a period of twelve (12) months.
The objectives of the consultancy are to provide the required Advisory Services to the Ministry of Transport & Infrastructure (MoTI) on key aspects of PPP Project preparation, tolling policy procurement, and contract negotiations; Document and put in place a strategy for Stakeholder Communication, and implementation of Social and Environmental Safeguards under PPP Schemes; Support for capacity building for the PPP Nodes to enable them carry out successful PPP transactions.
2. Scope of Work
The Scope of Work in this assignment will include provision of a range of advisory services to the PPP Nodes in the following areas:
(a) Development of a PPP strategy and Capacity Building: Assist MoTI, Kenya Urban Roads Authority (KURA) and Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) to formulate a strategy of implementing projects in the PPP Program and for stakeholder communication; advice and support the PPP Nodes on the Development of Tolling Policy, the development and implementation of international exchange programs in regards to tolling practices in other countries; investigation of options and design of a system of cross-subsidy in toll tariffs within the program and; assist the MoTI/PPP Unit in the hiring a road tolling strategy consultant..
(b) Development of Transaction Advisor TORs, Contract Negotiation and Management: Advise on the preparation of Terms of References (ToRs) for selection of Transaction Advisors, evaluation of Tenders and supervision of Transaction Advisors assigned to various projects; Setting up a successful framework and structure for negotiations to reach Commercial Close; Assist the PPP Nodes in the development of capacity in negotiation skills, strategy and tactics, including risk mitigation strategies and techniques and; set up a framework for monitoring compliance and performance of various Projects in the PPP Program.
(c) Development of Tolling Policy and Stakeholder Communication Strategy and Implementation: Provide technical input on tolling policy work of consultant hired to undertake this assignment; guide on design and implementation of key diagnostic tools.
(d) Development and implementation of Safeguards Strategies to address social and environmental issues related to transactions: Advice local consultants engaged by the PPP Nodes on the preparation of project-specific Environment and Social Impact Assessments (ESIAs) and Resettlement Action Plans (RAPs) for Project Affected Persons (PAPs), all in accordance with the Kenya law and World Bank’s Operational Policies and Procedures.
3. The National Treasury (the Client) through its Project Implementation Unit (PIU) now invites eligible individual consultants to express their interest in providing the services.
Interested Consultants should provide information demonstrating that they have the required qualifications and relevant experience to perform the services.
Consultants should provide their most recent profiles showing their experience, qualifications, capabilities, references and details of past experience especially in the area of their expertise etc.
The shortlisting criteria are;
(a) Expertise in Private Sector Development and PPP Infrastructure Projects (mostly on Roads) and especially those funded by the World Bank;
(b) Coordination and supervision of the design and implementation of major infrastructure projects through PPPs;
(c) Fluency in spoken and written English.
4. The expression of interest is also open to interested firms who may wish to propose individual consultants. In such cases, only the experience and qualifications of the individuals proposed shall be taken into account in the selection process and not the firm’s corporate experience. Consequently, the ensuing contract agreement will be signed directly with the successful individual.
5. The attention of interested consultants is drawn to paragraph 1.9 of the World Bank’s Guidelines: Selection and Employment of Consultants [under IBRD Loans and IDA Credits & Grants] by World Bank Borrowers published in January 2011 (“Consultant Guidelines”), setting forth the World Bank’s policy on conflict of interest. A consultant will be selected in accordance with the procedures for selection of individual consultants set out in the Consultant Guidelines.
6. Interested eligible individuals may obtain further information at the address given below during office hours between 0900 to 1700 hours, Monday – Friday inclusive, exclusive of public holidays, before the deadline for the submission of Expressions of Interest.
7. Complete Expressions of Interest documents in plain sealed envelopes with consultancy reference and name clearly marked on top should be delivered in person, sent by mail or by email to the address shown below or placed in the tender box at our offices on the 7th floor, Anniversary Towers, North Tower
Project Implementation Unit
Attention: Procurement Specialist
P.O. Box 30007-00100
Project Implementation Unit
Attention: Procurement Specialist
7th Floor, Anniversary Towers, North Tower.
Building No.19 Monrovia Street/University Way
Telephone No.: 254 – 20 – 2210271/4
8. Deadline for submission of Expressions of Interest is Wednesday 18th September 2013 at 1600 hours Kenyan local time.
Director, Public Private Partnerships Unit
For: Principal Secretary